To apply for our 2018 Teach First NZ Leadership Development Programme you will need to register your details and complete an application form. To register, click on this link.
After you have submitted your registration form we will send you an email that will include your unique link to your full application form.
Please note that the Teach First NZ programme is pending NZQA approval.
• Online applications open: NOW
• Online applications close: Monday 3 July 2017
• Phone interviews: Thursday 7 July - Tuesday 12 July
• Assessment centre days: late-July
• Offers communicated: early-August 2017
• Summer initial intensive start date: mid-November 2017
To join the Teach First NZ programme you must:
• Be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand;
• Not already have a teaching qualification that allows you to teach at a secondary school in New Zealand;
• Must not have received a TeachNZ scholarship in the past;
• Be flexible about working in one of our partner schools (in Auckland, Whangarei or Northland); and
• Be eligible to teach one of our six subject areas which are; English, Mathematics/Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, Te Reo Māori or General Science. You can find the study prerequisites for each subject area through this link.
Unsure if you are eligible for the programme?
We have a limited amount of deferred entry places for the following year reserved for those in special circumstances (if further study is needed). Deferred entry will be considered on a case by case basis.
To apply for the Teach First NZ Leadership Development Programme you will first need to register your interest and complete our online application form.
If your online application is successful, you will be invited for a phone interview where you will have another opportunity to discuss your background and demonstrate key competencies.
Success here will lead you to a Teach First NZ Assessment Centre, incorporating interviews, a group exercise, a sample teaching lesson and self-reflection. If you are successful at our Assessment Centre – congratulations! You will be made an offer to start your leadership journey with Teach First NZ.
“My advice to anyone considering the Teach First NZ programme is – don’t second guess yourself. This is the place where you need to be if you want to make a difference.”
Finn Webber, Cohort 2017, Teaching Physics at Mount Roskill Grammar School