Director of Pre-Programme
Director of Pre-Programme
The Director of Pre-Programme holds a key, senior leader role at Ako Mātātupu. The core function of this role is to oversee all elements of a participant’s journey before they begin the Teach First NZ Programme. This includes the recruitment, cultivation, selection and induction processes for candidates, as well as supporting participants to gain employment in one of Ako Mātātupu's partner schools. The Director of Pre-Programme will foster strong relationships with secondary schools serving low-income communities across Aotearoa.
The Director of Pre-Programme will lead this work, supported by a Recruitment Lead and a team of pre-programme staff. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Pre-Programme will also engage with all aspects of the organisation’s work. The successful candidate may also take on and contribute to other areas of our work depending on their skills, experience and interests.
The ideal candidate for the Director of Pre-Programme role will have:
- a deep connection to the kaupapa of Ako Mātātupu and alignment with our values of mana tangata, teu le vā, serving community, practicing excellence and brave thinking;
- a strong commitment to the bicultural aspiration of our organisation and a personal dedication to developing understandings of Te Ao Māori;
- a range of leadership experience in educational or for-purpose contexts;
- strong management skills coupled with a drive to bring the best out of those they work with;
- the ability to oversee and steer key operational areas of our organisation;
- a track record of establishing and maintaining relationships with Senior Leaders, ideally in the education sector;
- strong communication skills which result in credibility and trust;
- organisational acumen coupled with strategic planning and reporting skills; and
- experience in managing an end-to-end recruitment process (ideal but not required).
The successful candidate can expect autonomy in their work with support from Kaihautū (Māori leaders within the organisation), the Senior Leadership Team, Kaitiaki - CEO and Board. There is scope and expectation within the role to continue to develop and enhance our extensive networks throughout Aotearoa, as well as globally amongst the Teach For All community.
We are looking for an outstanding leader who shares a belief in our vision and wishes to join us in this exciting kaupapa.
About Ako Mātātupu: Teach First NZ
We believe that every young person should have what they need to fulfil their life’s potential; we exist to help make that a reality in Aotearoa.
Ako Mātātupu is an independent charitable trust (Reg. no. CC46327) and Tertiary Education Organisation (Reg. no. 6668). We work to disrupt the inequities that exist in Aotearoa which mean that, unfairly, some young people are significantly less able to fulfil their potential than others.
We do this by supporting outstanding people to address the causes of educational inequality which exist both within and beyond schools. Specifically, we support participants in the Teach First NZ Programme to grow as teachers and education leaders, so that they can make a difference at a classroom, school and system level throughout their careers.
We are well known for our flagship programme, which is a unique, two-year, employment-based, teaching and education leadership experience for which we recruit outstanding individuals with a commitment to achieving equity for young people. During the programme, our participants work in a school serving a low-income community, while they complete our postgraduate teaching qualification.
The Director of Pre-Programme holds a key, senior leader role within Ako Mātātupu. Salary and other benefits will be competitive.
Where to next?
Interested in applying for the role? Send through you CV and Cover Letter to [email protected]
Any queries about the role can be directed to Jono Smith on [email protected]
Take our eligibility quiz
Are you eligible to join our flagship programme? Our quiz will help you understand whether you meet our eligibility criteria as well as what subjects you may be able to teach.
Request an info pack
If you would like to find out more about our programme, how it works and who we are looking for, we have created an information pack just for you!